1Now the boy Samuel was ministering to the Lord under Eli. The word of the Lord was rare in those days; visions were not widespread. 2At that time Eli, whose eyesight had begun to grow dim so that he could not see, was lying down in his room; 3the lamp of God had not yet gone out, and Samuel was lying down in the temple of the Lord, where the ark of God was. 4Then the Lord called, “Samuel! Samuel!” and he said, “Here I am!” 5and ran to Eli, and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” But he said, “I did not call; lie down again.” So he went and lay down. 6The Lord called again, “Samuel!” Samuel got up and went to Eli, and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” But he said, “I did not call, my son; lie down again.” 7Now Samuel did not yet know the Lord, and the word of the Lord had not yet been revealed to him. 8The Lord called Samuel again, a third time. And he got up and went to Eli, and said, “Here I am, for you called me.” Then Eli perceived that the Lord was calling the boy. 9Therefore Eli said to Samuel, “Go, lie down; and if he calls you, you shall say, ‘Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went and lay down in his place. 10Now the Lord came and stood there, calling as before, “Samuel! Samuel!” And Samuel said, “Speak, for your servant is listening.”
1 Samuel 3:1-10
- Prayerfully listen to the Scripture throughout the week by clicking on the audio link above. As you listen, familiarize yourself with the message of the passage and consider what the Scripture means – in general and for you specifically.
- Consider practicing the holy listening exercise know as Sacred Reading, which involves listening to the Scripture three times:
- Click on the audio link above. As you listen the first time, ask God to point out to you a word or phrase from the Scripture. What is God saying to you in this Scripture?
- Click on the audio link above again and listen to the Scripture a second time. As you listen this second time, ask God to reveal to you the holy intentions for this word or phrase that is being spoken into your life. Why is God speaking this message to you?
- Click on the audio link above again and listen to the Scripture a third time. As you listen this third time, ask God how you might respond to this word or phrase being spoken into your life today. How does God want you to respond to this holy message?
- As you engage the Scripture during the week, consider these four important questions:
- What am I hearing in this Scripture?
- What does this Scripture say about God?
- What does this Scripture say about me and the world?
- What is God asking me to do in response to this Scripture?