Read: John 1:1-51
Centering Verse: But to all who received him, who believed in his name, he gave power to become children of God. (John 1:12)
- How have you witnessed or experienced the power of God’s Word and light?
- When/Where did you first meet Jesus? What was that experience like for you?
- How have you been called to witness to who Jesus is for the sake of others?
- In what ways has Jesus baptized you in the Holy Spirit (i.e., poured the Holy Spirit out into your life)?
- How does Jesus continue to take the sin of the world away today?
In this first chapter of John, Jesus is revealed to many people. First of all, he is revealed to the world in his incarnation. Yet we read that many of his people did not notice him. He is revealed to John through supernatural means – a vision while he is baptizing Jesus. He is revealed to Andrew through John’s testimony. Jesus reveals himself to Philip. And then, Peter and Nathanael have Jesus revealed to them through the testimony of their companions. When Jesus is revealed to us, then we have the opportunity to receive him for who he truly is. When we receive Jesus we are brought into his spiritual family. We become children of God through encountering the Son of God. How is Jesus being revealed to you more clearly and deeply today?
Our Father, who spoke the Word into the world, speak into our lives today. May Jesus Christ be revealed to us more clearly as the Holy Spirit anoints us and guides us. Amen.