Read: Galatians 5:1-26
Centering Verse: If we live by the Spirit, let us also be guided by the Spirit. (Galatians 5:25)
- What does it mean to be free in Christ? How have you experienced such freedom?
- Look at verse 11. How is the cross offensive? How might we embrace the cross in our own lives?
- Look at the list of the works of the flesh in verses 19-21. Now, admittedly, some of these acts will not correspond to your life. But some might. How are you challenged by this list? Do you see any evidence of such living in your life?
- Now look at the list of the fruit of the Spirit in verses 22-23. How are you challenged by this list? Do you see any evidence of such living in your life?
- How can you make room for the Spirit to produce the fruit of the Spirit in your life?
Though this chapter is often best known (and rightly so) for Paul’s discussion on the fruit of the Spirit, pay careful attention to his discussion concerning loving our neighbors and devouring one another. When our focus is on our own self, our own ways, and our own wants at the expense of others, we will destroy one another in order to justify ourselves and fulfill our whims. When our focus is on mutual love for one another, then we can experience the depth of the beauties of God’s kingdom. Will you sacrifice the well being of others to gain your heart’s desire? Or will you commit to the humble goodness of God so that we might live lives of Spirit-empowered shalom?
Father, God of all people, give us the ability to love selflessly. May we experience the freedom of your kingdom through a commitment to live according to the Spirit.